🇮🇨 How to get the Canarian residence?
Martina from Italy 🇮🇹 will guide you to obtain this first “must” step for your Erasmus in Las Palmas 🏝
Remember that you HAVE to ask for residence if you spend more than 6 months and 1 day in Gran Canaria, otherwise you are not allowed to have the Canarian residency.
🇮🇨 Why to become a Canarian resident?
75% Discount tickets for flights 🛩 and ferrys ⛴️ among the Canary Islands and to the rest of Spain 🇪🇦. Also, you could get the Young bus card for local transport 🚍, which is currently FREE for residents.
🏄♀️ Bonus tip:
Reserve your NIE appointment in Las Palmas’ office (Plaza de la Concordia 5) 1-2 months before your arrival. 🚨 Important: They will not attend you if you dont have all the required documentation!
What to do:
Step 1: Get your NIE (Foreigner Identity Number)
To get a NIE you have to:
- make an appointment through the website https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/pagina/index/directorio/icpplus
- choose an office from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria or if you can’t find available dates you can go to other cities’ offices in Gran Canaria
- once you already have your appointment you need to bring the required documentation to the chosen office: 1. passport 2. Health Insurance Card 3. University tuition fee 4. Housing contract (Original + 2 copies)
- All this documentation will be reviewed at the office
- Go to the bank to pay a fee (9,84€) and to bring the receipt
- Finally, they will release your NIE
Step 2: Make your resident registration
- make another appointment for residence registration at a different office (Ayuntamiento de Las Palmas de GC).
- You need to bring required documentation: 1. NIE document 2. Passport 3. Housing contract 4. Housing expenses invoice (Original + 2 copies)
- Finally you will get your Canarian residence.